HOVERRACE.COM: fast - fun - free

HoverRace is an open-source 3D racing game.
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Skel?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:35 pm 

This image reminds me of Skel.... not sure why.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

He used it as his avatar for a long while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:10 pm 

Is Skelator still around? He was awesome, we used to talk a lot back when HR was big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

He's the running joke around here. He can be found over at Open Hover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:28 pm 

I just found OpenHover. Is it any good? Only one screenshot and it's pretty standard (and an alpha version)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Open Hover is essentially the HoverRace 1.23 version from this site, rebranded as OpenHover.

He claims he fixed 'a few bugs' but doesn't mention what they were, and has implemented chat sounds for the IMR, but from what I see, it's done awfully (unchecking the box, it simply checks itself and starts playing sounds 5 seconds later, rofl).

Igglybob downloaded the Open Hover source, but from what he said, he can't see any real differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 pm 
Source Developer

Austin wrote:
Igglybob downloaded the Open Hover source, but from what he said, he can't see any real differences.

I also didn't look particularly hard. I don't think he did so much source modification as putting third-party plugins on top of it (which is what you suggested that he did).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:48 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I thought you would be best replying to what you saw.

Anyways, here's the quote of the day:

Quote:
Statement on the short term goals of Open Hover: Yes, I compiled the game and made a few changes to it. That was when I had a short period of free time. Right now I am involved with several major projects.... I've written some software that creates field data sheets to be sent out by the government here to 120,000 people. That might not seem like much, but when you see 100's of yorks full of a3 information packs you kinda realise how big it is. Each recipient gets several of these a3 sheets and they contain over 90 items of personalised data as well as barcodes. On top of that I am also producing other letters to each of the people. If the letter takes more than two a4 sides then the program has to produce an a3 duplex letter instead. Every day in work there are over 40 people constantly hand packing these documents from 8:30am to 4pm. As well as that I am completely rewriting alot of the systems at work, responding to technical requests, buiding four websites and writing a SOAP based SSL certified uploading system, a pricing calculator, three stores inventories and using a program I wrote to generate 20,000 statements to ferry passengers in the UK and ROI. That's just at work... I also have social commitments.... Needless to say OH isn't getting the time I'd like to spend on it, neither is Steeky or any of my other web hobby projects. So don't expect much in the short term. This is a long term project that has to be scheduled during my less busy periods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 am 

Igglybob wrote:
Austin wrote:

I also didn't look particularly hard. I don't think he did so much source modification as putting third-party plugins on top of it (which is what you suggested that he did).

Thirdparty my ass.... its just the regular source and some bs chime. I had to look at it myself. No changes I can see. Unless you call the Newbies Room a change. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:59 am 
Site Admin

It was good for the 'lulz'.