HOVERRACE.COM: fast - fun - free

HoverRace is an open-source 3D racing game.
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What's a good team name for my new team?
GreenBush 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
DreamTeam 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Enemies Of the World 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Team Canada 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Canadian Racing Force 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Team Steeky 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Team Stinky 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Team HardCore 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Other? (suggestion) 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:03 pm 

you know i don't personaly see a problem with reusing the names of old teams

if the former leaders no longer play it...and the members have gone on to other things...its fair game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:08 pm 

Everything is fair game if you want to put it that way Castro.. There's nothing to say there can't be two teams with the same name other than the fact that it would make no sense. Similarly there's no way to stop anyone using a name of a team which is now gone but in my opinion it's common courtesy not to use the name, or at least request permission from the founder of the team to use their name.
DT has left a great legacy and I'd hate to see someone like Vig tarnish it. Why can't you be origional anyway?.. Why on earth would you recycle an old name unless it was your team?.. It doesn't take too much thought to create a new one, heck he's had so many aliases I'm sure he can come up with something!

-Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:27 pm 

Well, i think it woulc be ridiculous for 2 active teams to have the same name.
and i don't feel my logic would allow that

You think if someone wants to have their team name the same as an old on that they should atleast ask the founder of it originaly?
Where that doesnt work, is say perhaps the founder left the team or hoverrace, and someone else became the leader, and so on and so on. and finaly the last member quits. There is nobody left for this team name to go to.

If you quit the team or hoverrace for an extended period of time, you give up your right to govern the team you once were apart of. And with nobody left in a team, i see no problem with someone else starting it back up or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:33 pm 
Source Developer

Well, I can see Phil's point here. If a couple mediocre F1 drivers were to get together and call themselves Team Lotus [in reference to the 70s days] I don't think anyone would give them a bit of respect, and they'd actually probably find themselves greatly disliked. A lot of people would probably say they were "disgracing the name" by not living up to the original Lotus standards. Ignore the copyright issues and whatsuch in that example - it gets the point across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Iggly's right, it might also confuse people into thinking the old Dream Team were back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:15 pm 
Although I do see Igglybob, and Austin's point, I find that they don't really pertain to this situation...

The fact of that matter is that DreamTeam is simply a good name. I doubt anyone would actually think that it came back if I restarted it (not that I have plans to). Also, going by Igglybob's, and Austin's points (and, especially the anti-Vigilant Phil's), you'd have to admit that since DreamTeam got their name from something else, and they weren't quite the same as them in all aspects, they didn't have the right to use the name, and some people may go as far as saying that they "tarnished," that name. That is, if they agree with that way of thinking.

Phil, get a life. You haven't been here in forever, and just when I make one outburst, you go attacking me on everything. Wake up, and smell the concrete, buddy: This is just a game. Deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:25 am 

Although I do see that Vigilante is trying to form a sophisticated argument by starting sentences with words like "Although", I find that what he is saying is full of shit.

The fact of the matter is that Vigilante's mediocre command of contemporary English grammar and writting simply does not warrant the fact that anything written is logical or contains any trace of intelligence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:49 am 
Source Developer

The DreamTeam here played a different sport. So it doesn't tarnish the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:11 am 

i wish i had at lease a medocore grasp of english... but nope im just blithering artound with the other dyslexics, though i can read better (im really digraphic or summin)
still, imo being dislexic aint really an excuse to "not read or write" it just makes it a load harder... in some very extreme cases perhaps a little excuse...
im disgraphic/dislexic, but whne perople ask why me english is crap? i say cos im lazy (if i check over typed stuff, i can make it great... just dont wanna)
i know a fat guy with a "eating disorder" who is getting thin by distracting himself from eating by playing oblivion, and also by doing lots of exercise!(ok, oblivion aint helping he, he snacks while playing..., prob unhelps)
well, i think ive slightly steered the topic of this thread!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:48 pm 

your not alone with your english skills. >.>

-kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:21 pm 

yeah, its kidna embarrasing actauly, sometimes i speak so lazily that people cant understand me... especaly embarrasing when chinese guys are speakin with proper grammer and i say somehting along the lines of "erridunnoman... perhapsif choo uhh... heck! have my food..."
then they go
"I'm Terribly sorry sir, my english is not very good - and i did not understand what you said"
and im like "oh heck, sorry, man, your english is cool! still, its 4 am - nowhere will sell you food, just grab some from the kitchen"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:56 pm 

Igglybob wrote:
Well, I can see Phil's point here. If a couple mediocre F1 drivers were to get together and call themselves Team Lotus [in reference to the 70s days] I don't think anyone would give them a bit of respect, and they'd actually probably find themselves greatly disliked. A lot of people would probably say they were "disgracing the name" by not living up to the original Lotus standards. Ignore the copyright issues and whatsuch in that example - it gets the point across.

Theres a difference between hoverrace and real racing
for F1 racnig people invest money into cars and teams
in hoverrace, they simply added a tag to their name, and maybe made a webpage.

I do kindof understand what you mean though, but i still think it doesnt matter.
I think any former members of Dream Team who have not quit the team should be the only ones to be able to complain here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:22 pm 

to be honest i support the ask the former owner logic. yes it's just a game, but it's also a form of respect. i don't really believe in something like tarnishing the name. also, i don't expect anyone to really agree with me. i guess one of the things is if there was a free for all team name stealing. dbz would be back and many other teams, but in a way having a name unique makes being on that certain team special for that amount of time. it goes along with the feeling of making something yourself. sometimes it doesn't feel all that great when someone steals something you made or copies it.

-kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

I agree Kitty, it may only be a game Castro, but there's a history to the name, and it deserves respect and shouldn't be used by a new team without some form of approval.

Well said Kitty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:44 pm 
To be honest, besides your ignorant comment about tarnishing the name, I do agree with you, kitty gal.
The major issue here would be that the owners of said team are nowheres to be found. How to ask permission without anyone to ask permission of

Also, I'd like to point out that Chozabu had a good idea trying to redirect this thread to a new topic, because the only reason this is continuing is because of Phil's malicious posting attitude towards me.
Although he may use ONE of my posts as a good example of why he has a right to be hostile towards me, it certainly isn't a very good excuse.

The fact of the matter is that Phil, like BaPinney, hasn't been here as of late, and just comes on one day, when, for the first time in a good while, the HoverRace Forums are in active arguement-state, due to one post that I made, which was just meant to help.
That wasn't just cause for Phil to jump in, nor was it for BaPinney. Although I admit that I furthered any agressions with Phil because of my reply to his post, this has NOTHING to do with that.
This is neither here, nor there. Deal with it.

Phil's comments were meant to be some sort of challenge to me, and now that I think I've gotten most of the ACTIVE players on my side (not including the New World/HoverRace Order), I'd like for this to end. Here's a simple way for that to happen:

The name DreamTeam was actually put up there more-of as a lark, just as some of the others were. Even though I KNOW I have full-right to create a team named after the old DreamTeam, I would never do it simply because I would only want DreamTeam to come back if (at least some of) the old members came back.

Now, can we all STFU about this? I'd like to hear either more about Chozabu's dyslexia (which I also have), or about what people think would be a good team name...

Earlier on, someone (I believe it was Igglybob) recommended that I just change my name back to G.M.W. (by the way, BaPinney... I've only had three Aliases in total), and join Team @...

What do the rest of you think I should do?

(At this time, I'm looking less for power, and more for a way to help HoverRace out a little more. I'm a mediocre racer, and a mediocre contributor at best, but I'm still here, so that has to count as something).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next